Thursday, February 14, 2008

On pizza

I am very particular about pizza. While I have eaten just about any kind of pizza, from the very good (real NY style--in NY!) to the lowliest of soggy cardboard (Pizza Time, anyone?), I made an executive decision about a year back: Life is too short to eat lousy pie.

This means I get a lot of pizza from Piecora's. Their pepperoni and mushroom is a fave, as are the Sweet Italian and Jeffro's Veggie pies. The problem is the price--it costs my entire weekly fun onye budget for one. Papa Murphy's is good in a pinch (and within the budget), and they do have the Perfect Pizza (half pepperoni, half ham & pineapple). Sometimes even Domino's or Pizza Hut will fit the bill--especially if Cassie and I split one.

The real winner now, however, is Trader Joe's. They sell pizza crust, just waiting to be made into the pizza of your dreams. Plain, whole wheat, and garlic & herb varieties, no less. They also sell cheap goat cheese and prosciutto so you can make a fancypants pizza. I have a pizza stone I inherited from my mom, and now I have good pizza whenever I want--also healthier too.

Green, Cheese and Ham (A.K.A. Jen's Current Favorite Pizza)
1 TJ's herb & garlic crust
3 TB olive oil
3 cloves garlic
1 tsp each dried oregano and red pepper flakes
1 bag TJ's organic arugula (will make 2 pizzas)
1 pack prosciutto (has 6 slices or so)
1 16oz mozzarella, sliced into little circles.

1. Blend olive oil, garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes until a paste is formed. Let sit overnight (or as long as possible).
2. Pre-heat the pizza stone in the oven and prepare crust according to directions.
3. Place crust on stone and pre-bake for 7-10 minutes, puncturing any bubbles that form.
4. When crust is, well, crusty, spread olive oil mixture. Add half bag of arugula, mozzarella, and prosciutto. Cook until cheese is meted and crust is done, about 7-10 more minutes.

No comments: