Monday, December 24, 2007

Merry Christmas!

It's December 24, and I am sitting at work with very little to do and trying not to go out for coffee again. I think a single one-hour coffee break per day is enough...The Boss Man is out, the assistant boss men are out, and my pal the Tech Dude is out. Present are:
  • My "supervisor" (who doesn't know what I do here at work but perceives that I am somehow valuable, and who didn't come in today until 10:30 or so)
  • The Whiner (still surfing BestBuy.com for the most superiorest digital camera, even though he already bought one for work and owns one of his own)
  • The Temp (a miracle! Not sick!)
  • and Katie ( the perky and fast working student who I am so happy to have back in the office I could leap about for joy. I'm the youngest person in my office by a lot, and it gets a bit fuddy duddy at times. With Katie, we laugh a lot more. She brings the fun.)
Therefore I have lots of time to catch up on blog. :)

It snowed here in Sea-town on Saturday, December 1st. My backyard:

And the sky and trees:

It was pretty and quiet. The Oregon juncos and black-capped chickadees came out and flitted from branch to branch, landing so lightly that they only pushed a tiny bit of snow off. I made snowballs and threw them at roommate Cassie's window until she yelled at me. She's from Minnesota, and so has had more than her fair share of snow. I love it--it is still a novelty to me, living in a place where snow falls occasionally.

Scott, Maggie, and I finally went to see Mike's play over at the Burien Little Theatre on December 8. Mrs. Bob Cratchitt's Wild Christmas Binge parodied A Christmas Carol and It's A Wonderful Life, and threw in a little Kenneth Lay mockery as well. The three of us laughed harder and louder than anyone else in the audience--I think the older, season ticket holding crowd were not amused and had hoped for something a bit more traditional. Too bad. As you can see from Mike's costume from the last act (he's on the left), traditional wasn't on the menu.

The Third Annual Dessert Soiree took place at our house on December 9. Everyone dressed nicely and we ate copious amounts of homemade sweets while swilling syllabub. Syllabub is a frothy concoction made with powdered sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, whipping cream, and champagne. It'll get you smashed in a great big sickly sweet way. And yet you'll still want it the next time it's made...
Why, at every party, is there always one guy who is just a total ass, an unredeemable jerk, someone who doesn't need to drink to become a domineering prick? Our party had a That Guy, and the girls and I are comforted by the fact that he isn't a direct acquaintance--he was the visiting friend of someone's roommate who invited himself along. The rest of our company, however, was delightful. I like that Patrick and I ended up wearing matching outfits without any planning.

My Christmas knitting has fallen unredeemably far behind. So lots of people will still be receiving knitted goods as Christmas gifts, just not on Christmas...

Love to all!

No comments: